AI, travel planning, and dreaming of islands in Indonesia
[News: 10 May 2023] Air travel in Sumatra, the largest islands in Southeast Asia, Penang LRT gets funding, delays for Bangkok's Pink and Yellow lines, and the Hanoi metro is making money
Hello from Hua Hin. I’m here for a month to spend time on projects that I don’t look at when I am moving about. This month I started looking into AI, and to see if it could be helpful in my research. For example, I wanted a list of the largest islands in Thailand. I got the list back but it didn’t look right. I asked chatgpt again:
I only know a few island sizes by memory, but I knew this was off. Way off! Unfortunately there will be other sites that just copy and paste this information, adding to more misinformation for AI to feed on.
I’m starting to see people using AI for travel planning as well, even though it is producing misinformation. I asked about information about Hoi An, which has probably more written about than any travel destination in Vietnam, and the answer was generic filler content.
I could see how business travellers would use it if they are just booking hotels near meetings, but I want to research where I am going.
This week’s articles also reinforced that I need to do the research myself and not outsource. For example, the subscriber article of this week is about the air routes within Sumatra. I could have hired someone to make a list of air routes, but now that I have gone through all the airports I have a better understanding of the air travel market in Sumatra.
I want to be a human encyclopedia on transport and urban development in Southeast Asia, so I must do these tasks myself.
It also helps that I like travel planning, which is why I will never let AI do my planning.
After writing about Sumatra I was curious about the other big islands of Southeast Asia, so I made a list. This is normally something you would find on Wikipedia, but there was no such list.
Same again, I compiled the list personally, and now I have a better understanding of the islands of Southeast Asia. I even made a Google Map and pinned every island, giving me a better geographical understanding of the region.
The Google Map project also made me want to travel to these lesser-known islands. Have a look at the shape of Peleng, the 40th largest island in Southeast Asia. This is under the “arm” of my favourite-shaped island (Sulawesi). Now I have a new list of islands that I want to visit.
Dispatches from Southeast Asia
When I was researching a trip to Sumatra I discovered that there are only a few intraisland flights. I made a map of the five largest cities:
Bandar Lampung (TKG)
I also included Banda Aceh (BTJ) to include the northernmost major city. This is the map of flights between major cities
This article covers Sumatra's lack of intraisland flights, connections to Jakarta and Southeast Asia, and how future railways could replace air travel in Sumatra.
Latest posts at Future Southeast Asia
I’ve started a fact sheet for islands of Southeast Asia. I was curious about the largest islands in Southeast Asia, and the largest islands of each country, so I made a table
• PM Lee calls on ASEAN to work towards joint power grid after Lao PDR-Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore project
• ST Engineering secures $66.5mln project in Brunei
“Project constitutes integrated Sungai Paku waste management and Sungai Akar engineered landfill project.”
• Chinese firm wins deal to build 3rd largest port in Cambodia
• INKA claims LRT Jakarta train cars are more advanced
• Construction of largest wind power project in Southeast Asia now under way in Laos
• Vientiane riverside night market to undergo major makeover this month
• Vientiane-Xamneua flights to start next week
”Lao Airlines will operate a new flight route between Vientiane and Xamneua three times a week, following the opening of Nongkhang airport in Huaphan province after many years of delay during the course of construction.”
• Putrajaya to provide additional funds for Penang LRT, says PM
"Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim says the Penang South Islands project will be scaled down, having listened to the grouses of locals and fishermen affected."
• Penang to study scaling down, postponing part of PSI project after Putrajaya agrees to fund LRT
• Penang South Islands (PSI) project shows ineptitude of national planning
“Project in interests of corporations over the interests of the local community.”
• DPM Fadillah: Construction of Phase 2 and 3 Sabah-Sarawak Link Road Project being evaluated
• TikTok user rails against hour-long wait due to missed train
• PM: Traffic jams affect productivity
• Controversial border project looms over KNU congress
• Manila’s heritage sites in danger amid rapid development
• 'PH closer to safe, efficient airports'
• Terraforming Singapore: Is the future made of sand?
• LTA seeking operators for new Jurong Region & Cross Island Lines, open to foreign partner for SMRT & SBS Transit
• Tanah Merah and Bedok: nexus of east region transformation
• Singapore’s soaring rents are becoming a political problem
• Life’s no beach for Thais affected by sand mining
• Reports saying Yellow and Pink lines will open soon are false: MRTA
“The Yellow and Pink lines of MRT electric trains are currently under system testing and will not open for public use until June of next year”.
• Government plans to develop Thailand’s coastal zones
• Airports operator expects to turn profit next fiscal year
“Air travel returning to pre-covid levels.”
• Thai election: Politicians outline plans to draw investments to the south amid sluggish economy
• Chinese scour Thailand for homes, looking to offset risks after pandemic
• Pattaya eyes major Bali Hai Pier repairs, upgrade
• Analysis: EEC mega-projects have stalled under Prayut administration
• Suvarnabhumi to become Thailand’s first "green" airport
• What will it take for Timor-Leste to join ASEAN?
“With a December admission to the bloc "in principle", the country remains on a gradual path to accession. But as Timor-Leste inches closer to this goal, steep challenges remain on both sides of the relationship.”
• Vietnam’s Khanh Hoa seeks investors for $3.7bn urban area project
• Hanoi plans construction of three new urban railway lines by 2025
• Hanoi Metro posts first profit
• Vietnam to complete new government headquarters by 2035
• Vung Tau beach gets full renovation
I've had some wonderful adventures in West Sumatra. Hit me up if you're flying into PDG.
Many interesting items in this piece.
Vientiane riverside market is flooded with Chinese junk, I mean crafts, like Chiang Mai. Maybe this will change. 🙄
Swampy to become green airport. Lolol
SG reclamation. Didn't know that sand was basis for most. Makes that drink at the rooftop bar at Marina Sands seem a bit fraught.