Malaysia's mania for land reclamation
Langkawi projects, proposed airport railways for Phnom Penh and Siem Reap, MRT Putrajaya Line Phase 2 officially launched, the proposed Panay Railway, and considered Can Tho Railway.
Greetings from Penang! This is the third island I have visited in a row (after Langkawi and Koh Lipe), so I will have a mix of island content soon for Future Southeast Asia and Nomadic Notes.
While Penang has been debating the massive Penang South Islands project, another artificial island project has been quietly going on without too much controversy. At the north end of the island, the Andaman project is moving along quickly. I wasn’t expecting to visit the Andaman this year, but they have now set up a showroom on the island with a cafe. I booked a Grab taxi to go there, and my Grab driver was confused about this island that they previously were unaware of.
I went to the cafe and then walked back, so I will post more photos soon. Here is a picture of the new bridge and new island.
In addition to the Forest City project in Johor, another big artificial island project is happening in Langkawi. This week I have put together a list of the main projects in Langkawi, and there is an extra trip report for paid subscribers. If you would like to support my field reports then consider a subscription.
Latest posts at Future Southeast Asia
Dispatches from Southeast Asia
Langkawi trip report [Upgrade to read]
A big tower comes to Cenang Beach, an inappropriate Dubai-like development, and yet another mediocre urban development that Malaysia does so well.
• Only 2.7% of Southeast Asia cities breathed 'healthy' air in 2022: Report
• More than 100 million tons of sand mined from Lower Mekong, experts say
• Which countries pollute the most ocean plastic waste?
6 of the top 10 are from Southeast Asia :(
• Chanthol invites Chinese infrastructure investment
“The minister said they include the Techo International Airport -railway link, the Siem Reap-Angkor International Airport- railway link, the automated guideway transit (AGT) system, and potential subway or monorail systems in the capital.”
• Floods inundate IKN Nusantara project area
• Singapore pledges support for Indonesia’s new US$34 billion capital Nusantara
• Bogor-Sukabumi rail track reconstructed after SAR ends: minister
• Lao Prime Minister orders installation of immigration checkpoints at railway stations
• New Huaphan airport scheduled for handover in April
• Vientiane authorities urge telcos to bury cables
• Loca to transition to fully electric fleet by 2030
• MRT Putrajaya Line Phase 2 officially launched; free rides until 31 March
• Penang's new ferry unveiled in Vietnam shipyard
• Official: Titiwangsa MRT station could be next KL Sentral
• Sarawak Metro: ART to be delivered to Kuching by middle of this year
• PM will look into TnG monopoly of highway toll collection system
• Transport ministry set ambitious plans to link Malaysia, China via rail service
• Malaysia Rail Link: ECRL achieves 10 million man-hours without lost-time injury
• All KTMB stations must have lifts within a year: Loke
• Penang heritage building in ruins despite stop work order
• George Town World Heritage Inc to receive RM50 mil for conservation efforts
• Peninsula hotel operator ready to resume Yangon project anytime
• Panay Railways gets green light
• Maharlika Investment Fund provides 'make or break' test for Marcos
“Amid opposition and historical baggage, president pushes sovereign wealth fund.”
• Philippines fishermen balk at land reclamation projects
• Changi Airport regains crown, named world’s best airport for 12th time
• Singapore to get 1GW of renewable energy from Cambodia in largest electricity import to date
• Lucky 13: Additional train cars eyed for Bukit Panjang LRT
“Thailand's surging PM2.5 dust pollution is damaging both the economy and people's health, but shows little sign of abating.”
• Why is it difficult to add new flights at Suvarnabhumi?
• Sattahip resort ordered to close for land encroachment
• Ambitious plan for SRT land
”The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) plans to turn 148 rai of land around Thon Buri railway station into a medical complex with the aim of creating a green environment.”
• Ministry accelerates proposed HCMC-Can Tho high-speed railway plans
• CapitaLand negotiates to buy $1.5 billion of assets from Vinhomes
• The slum in the heart of Saigon
• Hanoi's decade-long effort to clear pavements with no significant results
• Illegal bungalows in Phu Quoc demolished