News: 21 September 2022
Latest Post: The station transfer mess of Bangkok’s rail transit. Dispatches: A tram proposal for Bali, News: Laos plans to link to Cambodia via railroads, and more...
Latest posts at Future Southeast Asia
• The station transfer mess of Bangkok’s rail transit
This is the second post in a series of railway messes in Thailand (the first article was about the mixed-gauge mess). When I was in Bangkok earlier this year I visited the future transfer stations of the expanding transit system. As a public transport advocate, it is disheartening to see these new stations so poorly connected to each other.
Dispatches from Southeast Asia: Ho Chi Minh City
My weekly(ish) post for paid subscribers:
A tram proposal for Bali, new HCMC airport opening date, and dysfunctional infrastructure as a tourist attraction.
• Scooters and 3-wheelers are really what’s driving an EV revolution
• Asean 'needs to double' green energy spending
• Brunei opens Asean’s longest bridge to foreign vehicles but limits weight
• Laos plans to link to Cambodia via railroads
• Mondulkiri airport project stalled after Chinese investor ‘runs out of funds’
• Siem Reap’s new airport 40% completed
• We are still waiting for the international rail service between Thailand and Cambodia to begin. Meanwhile in Poipet (on the Cambodian side of the border), the Vishnu roundabout is being rebuilt to accommodate the cross-border railway (via the Southeast Asia Railways group).
• Can Jokowi make capital relocation his legacy?
[Updated: Nusantara – New Capital City of Indonesia]
• Bali aims to complete new toll road by 2025
• Laos to invest over USD 2 billion in wind power project
• It was reported on Laos TV that a feasibility study has been signed for the Savannakhet-Lao Bao Railway. There is no English news link for this yet, but there was a video posted here.
[Updated: East–West Economic Corridor Railway]
• Business groups mixed over revival of KL-Singapore HSR project
[Updated: Kuala Lumpur–Singapore High-Speed Rail]
• Phase 1 of the Penang South Islands project to start in November?
[Updated: Penang South Islands]
• Construction industry in dire need of green cement — Sime Darby Property
• Samsung-backed group wins $11bn Philippine airport deal
• Hyundai E&C wins W1.9t railway deal in Philippines
“Hyundai E&C will build a 56-kilometer railway connecting the capital city of Manila to the southern city of Calamba in the next six years, the company said in a statement.”
• Salceda: Naia should’ve been closed, but redeveloping it would make NCR more livable
• Six more MRT stations will be built in Phase 2 of Cross Island Line; to open by 2032
• How Singapore conquers land that doesn't exist
• Double-track lines to open this year
• Calls mount for city flood retention areas
• New rail bridge to be built in Nong Khai for cargo moving between Thailand and China
• Siam Cement plans building material with 50% less CO2 emissions by 2030
• Hà Nội plans to replace petrol buses with electric ones
• France helps Vietnam with heritage conservation
• Unfinished railway station turned into parking space, market
• Central Highlands province eyes $169-mln airport to boost tourism